Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR

Non-Profit Orgs.

Non-Profit Organizations

If you are a Non-Profit Organization and you wish to apply for a Sale Tax Exemption (E) number, your organization must submit the following required documentation:

Note: There is no fee to apply. A charitable organization isn't necessarily qualified because it has a charter from the Secretary of State’s office designating it as a not-for-profit corporation, or an exemption from federal taxes under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Although the information is relevant, it doesn't prove the charitable nature of the organization.

Click here for information on how to renew your Sales Tax Exemption Status.

Please see 86 Ill. Adm. Code Section 130.2007.

The information outlined above should be sent to the following address:

Sales Tax Exemption Section 3-520
Illinois Department of Revenue
101 W Jefferson St
Springfield IL 62702-5145

Or apply online using MyTax Illinois, our online account management program. If you have questions, contact us weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 217 782-8881 or email us at

If your organization’s name or address changes after your E-number has been assigned, submit Form STAX-1 to notify the Department of this change. For a name change, you also must submit with Form STAX-1 copies of your organization’s articles of incorporation, if incorporated, or your organization's constitution, if unincorporated.

For more information, please see PIO-37, Sales & Property Tax Exemptions, or refer to our Publication 104 for a list of common sales tax exemptions. This publication identifies several of the most common sales tax exemptions, explains how retailers and service persons must document sales of tax-exempt items, and provides references to the Illinois Administrative Code for each exemption. For a complete listing, see 86 Ill. Adm. Code Section 130.120.